"No I'm not color blind, I know the world is black and white"
- John Mayer

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Searching for a heart of gold

The other day as I was riding in the car with my dad, Neil Yong's "Heart of Gold" came on the radio, and my dad told me, as he does every time we hear it, that the song was his brothers favorite song. It strikes me each time he tells me this because I can't imagine thirty years from now, driving in the car with my child and hearing a song that I would think to be my siblings' favorite, or even my favorite. I definitely have song memories with my sisters, (belting our Beyonce's "Listen" until our voices were hoarse), but I can't ever narrow down one specific song to be a favorite of theirs or mine. I've made an attempt to narrow my favorite songs down to a list of ten (in no particular order).

01. Domino, Van Morrison, it reminds me of Sunday nights when I lived in Massachusetts
02. Days Go By, Keith Urban, I can't hear this song and not want to put my "hand out the window in the wind"
03. We Get On, Kate Nash (which I blogged about here), simply because the lyrics are the greatest
04. The Best Deceptions, Dashboard Confessional, it's the first Dashboard song that I really loved, so it started my obsession
05. In Your Atmosphere, John Mayer, it's such a soothing song, yet so heartfelt
06. Skinny Love, Bon Iver, it reminds me of driving to school in the morning with my sister, where we had some of the greatest sisterly bonding moments
07. I Will Follow You Into the Dark, Death Cab for Cutie (which I blogged about here), it just a classic
08. Dear John, Taylor Swift, my best friend and I had a belt out session to this song and I will forever remember that moment with this song
09. Braille, Regina Spektor, once again, another perfectly soothing song
10. Franklin, Paramore, my favorite song by Paramore (I was half tempted to make this list all Paramore songs) mostly because the lyrics are perfect

I have loved each of these songs in some time in my life, and each of them I feel a connection to. For me, that's what a favorite song has to include. I can only that sometime in the future I might hear one of these songs, or one of my other favorites, and I can be brought back to the times in which I loved it, or hopefully, these songs will continue to be loved in my life for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment