"No I'm not color blind, I know the world is black and white"
- John Mayer

Saturday, July 23, 2011

never mind, i'll find someone like you

For my required summer reading for MSU I have been reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I admit, I did sort of cringe when I found out that I had to do some summer reading, but this book is honestly one of my favorites. It tells the story of a young boy dealing with the death of his father from September 11, yet it focuses much more on the lives of others and how it brought the boy's life to be what it is. With this subject matter, it's obvious that the book is sad in most parts, but Foer adds in the perfect amount of humor that I have actually laughed out loud numerous times. Needless to say, I am most definitely in love with this novel, and I have found numerous quotes that I love love love, especially these two:

"you cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness"

"so many people enter and leave your life... you have to leave the door open so they can come in, but it also means that you have to let them go"

"I thought about all of the things that everyone ever says to each other, and how everyone is going to die, whether it's in a millisecond, or days, or months, or 76.5 years, if you were just born. Everything that's been born has to die, which means our lives are like skyscrapers. The smoke rises at different speeds, but they're all on fire, and we're all trapped."

No comments:

Post a Comment