"No I'm not color blind, I know the world is black and white"
- John Mayer

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Whatever it takes

Tonight, my baking excursion was quite a disaster, so these cupcakes didn't turn out as fabulous as I thought they would. I originally was going to make chocolate chip muffins, but I didn't have any milk in the fridge so I decided to make cupcakes instead. It somehow slipped my mind that I would need milk to make the frosting, so after I took a shower while my cupcakes were cooling, my mom pointed out that fact to me. Twenty minutes and an extremely foggy trip to the grocery store later, I was back to finish the problematic cupcakes, as seen below:
I used a vanilla box cake mix. I added in a generous amount of blue and red food coloring in an attempt to make my cupcakes turn out lavender, but I didn't add quite enough. Note for next time: when I think it's purple enough, add more
I ladled the mixture into the cupcake holders and baked as directed on the box.
As you can see, the lavender color didn't turn out as planned.
After my trip to the store to pick up some milk, in my fury to get the cupcakes finished I mixed up my frosting (recipe found here), and in doing so I got a massive amount of powdered sugar over my counter top when my butter wasn't softened enough to mix. A little clean up later, I got it to mix properly, and I added blue and red food coloring to add more lavender to the cupcakes.
The finished product took much longer than I anticipated, and although they aren't quite the lavender cupcakes that I would have hoped for, they still taste delicious. In the end, isn't that all that really matters anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment